Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Let the Beauty We Love BE What we Do

Nothing happens without a reason. Nothing.

This has been a profound week for me in my coaching journey. Like many budding coaches, I’ve been struggling with self-doubt as I coach my clients; wondering if I’m supporting them enough, challenging them enough, or am I even coaching material…I knew there was something at the root of these insecurities and two experiences in ICA (www.icoachacademy.com) this week helped me to discover just what I needed to reconcile within myself. The first “aha” moment came earlier in the week.   

I attended a class that explored Business coaching (a class I don’t usually choose since I am leaning towards the Life Coach niche) and it turned out that all of the other students (3 more in total) on the call were fellow non-profit professional who were transitioning into coaching as their next career. I thought I was the only one crossing over from this sector into coaching and it was great to be in a space where your peers are so intimately connected with the challenges of your journey.The second “aha” moment came last night. ICA students are given opportunities to practice their craft on many of our calls, and out of sheer anxiety (the idea of 20 or so people listening to you coach is nerve-wracking) I have always avoided volunteering to coach.
So last night, I finally pushed past the fear and heard myself pipe up “I’ll coach tonight!” I ended up coaching a fellow student on managing her insecurities in moving from her career in non-profit leadership to coaching.  I have to say it was an awesome coaching experience-she was an open and reflective client and I stayed completely present and curious (did not listen to those inner gremlins telling me I was going to mess this up). The universe had given me an opportunity to support this client, orient her to the successes in her life experience that made her an ideal coach, and to come face to face with my own fears. As she released herself from her insecurities, I could feel myself doing the same. We both completed the session feeling blessed to be where we were, and I got some great feedback from my client, instructor and peers. 

Talk about magic.  I know I’m in the right place, and most importantly, I know that I will continue to learn and grow in my lifestyle choice of servitude.

Originally posted on March 8, 2008 at 10:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment