Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The More You Do, the MORE You Do

Take a moment to think about someone you know whose life is a constant hum of activity.  These are the same people who manage to work a full day, go to the gym every other day, spend time with friends and family, and use the remaining hours in the day to tackle that demanding MBA program. And they still make time to meet you for brunch, support a fundraiser you’re doing and attend your child’s birthday party. Maybe you see yourself in this description?  Over the last few months, fuelled by a renewed sense of determination to complete my Certified Professional Coach Certification (www.icoachacademy.com), I have plunged myself into a schedule that initially made me shudder. For example, this week alone, I will have spent 12 hours on coaching work, whether attending class, working on assignments, coaching clients, or being coached. For someone who really values her alone time as a space for contemplation and rejuvenation, embracing this schedule was not easy. I had made schedules like this in the past and since the program is largely self driven, I ultimately failed in honouring the commitment. I needed to understand how I could move forward successfully this time.

I know that at any given moment, we are always committed to something; whether consciously or sub-consciously, and when you honestly look at your feelings about commitments in your life, you can better understand the results you are having in that area of your life. 
 So one night, I sat down and explored my feelings and thoughts about my course completion schedule.  Some of my limiting beliefs that came to light included: “It’s too much work! I can’t do this. Look at all of the time I am losing, time that I could put to chilling, relaxing, and spending time with friends and family. I can’t do this. Other people could do this, but not me.”  The learning for me here was that I did not think I was capable of or worth this achievement. With a little time spent to reframe my perspective in a way that serves me, I found a new way to look at the same schedule: “Wow! Look at all of the things I am committing to learning over the next few months! Look at all of the opportunities I have to learn from my clients/instructors/fellow coaches/ coach!! And most importantly, look at how close I am coming to achieving my goal!”  This new perspective is rooted in my passion and enthusiasm for coaching and to serve the universe as a coach. The other perspective was rooted in insecurities and false perceptions I held about my capabilities.

Until I took the time to look at how my perspective was the biggest barrier to moving forward, I was unable to make a strong commitment. And now that I am moving full steam ahead, I find that I joyfully honour my schedule and progressing on multiple goals has become as natural as breathing.  

What are you really committed to in your life that is moving you forward?
Holding you back?

“If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it.” ~Lucille Ball

Originally posted February 6, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment